Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Blizzard Wednesday and Another Trip to the ER

Gracie got to hang out with me all day today as the big Minnesota blizzard hit. The driveway was plowed out and I awaited the snow plow to come by as our street was impassable, so I could head to daycare and work. That never happened. The snow plow finally came through about 3:30 p.m. Just in time for our trip to the E.R.

Gracie was kneeling on the floor playing with her bicycle helmet, hit her chin on it, and her cut from last week reopened. We were stilled snowed in at the time so I called the nurses line, they transfered me to the ER, and they thought it would be worthwhile to come in, as Gracie is allergic to the adhesive on bandages or tape, so we couldn't use one to keep it together. After that I called the Department of Transportation to see if they planned on plowing any non-emergency route streets. About 20 minutes after the call they came through. As snowplows do, they plowed my driveway back in. So I bundled Gracie up, put her in her car seat, pulled the car in the driveway so she was right there and began shoveling us out. I shoveled just enough to squeak my car through and headed to the ER. We had the awesome resident we had last week when we were there for the original cut. She is awesome and Gracie really took to her. The consultant was a physician we've seen at the ER on many occasions, it's kind of scary to think that we've been there so many times he recognized us.

We talked through some options as the cut came totally apart again. It's obvious the glue didn't hold, stitches were a possibility but would have to be bandaged...no can do because of the adhesive allergy or sensitivity. In the end we decided to leave it knowing it will leave a pretty dandy scar. I was sent home with a topical antibiotic to ward off infection. When it was time to go, Gracie had been holding the consultants stethoscope as a bribe to let him look at her chin, she wouldn't let it go. So as I talked to the insurance people, the two doctors took Gracie out to do a swap of the stethoscope for stickers. When I went out to the hall they were no where to be found. I was quickly pointed to a cubby around the corner, where they had Gracie standing on the cupboard picking out stickers. The whole hallway was enamored when she signed "thank you".

Gracie and I did alot of reading today. She has become a huge fan of my "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook. I think she is trying to figure out my nutrition tricks. She also loves the "Christmas Story" book right now. I have to read that one over and over and over again. This is good, as she hopefully will learn the true meaning of Christmas.

I'm getting Gracie's cozy clothes out for tomorrow. Sounds like it will be wickedly cold.

Love,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

Gracie was a trooper

No comments: