Saturday, July 18, 2009

Saturday - Fun with Family

Gracie had a great night and when she woke up, looked at me, said "Yay" and clapped her hands. I'm not sure if her cheer was because she had a great night or because she was happy it was morning. Gracie hung out with daddy this morning while I got my hair cut and the gray removed! Then it was daddy's turn for a cut so we exchanged Gracie at the salon and I headed home.

Gracie must be growing as she ate a big lunch. Then she took an hour nap to prepare for a visit from her Aunt Sheila and cousins Kayla and Jason. Gracie was happy to see them and they couldn't come up the stairs to see her fast enough. She played and played and had a great time. She even watched "Signing Times", one of her sign language dvd's with them.

Jeff and I have decided to step up the sign language with Gracie. We see her starting to catch on to a few signs and have decided we need to be better about consistently signing things. We don't like for Gracie to watch much TV, but have decided that we'll let her watch the sign language dvds with us a little more often, that way we can coach her. We also just bought the Signing Times for babies. She really likes that as well and signed both "mommy" and "daddy" today with prompting.

As Gracie gets older, she has definite wants but is getting increasingly frustrated that she can't tell us what those wants are. So we are hoping this helps alleviate some of the frustration, especially since we know speech is delayed and sometimes difficult for individuals with Sotos Syndrome.

When I put Gracie to bed tonight she was quite the comedian. She would lay down for a little bit, then she would pop her head up and shake it "no" and smile. I would then say "yes", and shake my head yes. She would lay down again and moments later her head would pop up again and she would shake it no. Again, I would say "yes" and shake my head yes. This got to be a game and everytime I would say "yes", she would giggle out loud. It was so funny, that I would laugh and that would make her giggle all the more.

She is now sleeping soundly. I'm hoping she has sweet dreams.

Love,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: