Saturday, January 30, 2010

Friday & Saturday - Still Not Feeling Great

I stayed home with Gracie again on Friday. Her stomach was acting up a little, but she was in a very good mood. She took a 2-1/2 hour nap, which was wonderful since she had a horribly rough night.

Jeff headed to Minneapolis for work so Gracie and I were on our own both Friday and Saturday. On Friday night just before bedtime she began holding her diaper area, grimacing, and bending over while fussing. Not a good sign. I called the nurses line and they felt she needed to be seen, so off to the ER for the second time this week. It was very busy there on a Friday night and there were so many sick people around us, I was scared to touch anything, or breathe for that matter. Scared I would bring home something worse than what we came with. My heart went out to all of these sick people.

As for Gracie, the thought was that she probably had a urinary tract infection. They had to cath her to get a clean urine sample. Let me just say that was quite traumatic for her and she has fussed about having her diaper changed ever since. The initial tests came back negative. I was very surprised by this. We are waiting on a 24 hour culture though. We got home from the E.R. at 11 p.m. and we were both exhausted.

We slept in until 7:30 a.m. this morning and the first thing Gracie signed for me this morning was "hurt", but she couldn't tell me what hurt. She was in a good mood, so that was a good sign. We took a bath this morning, I got her dressed, and we headed upstairs. This was when we had a diaper explosion. Oh my - we had poop everywhere...up her back, down her legs, in her socks. I took her right back to the bathtub for a second bath of the day.

Gracie was a good girl all day. She had moments, but they were few and far between. As I mentioned earlier, diaper changing has become a trying time. Gracie's appetite was a little less today, but not terrible either. I tried to offer more bland things...crackers, pasta in chicken broth, bananas, gatorade, etc.

Gracie's new word today was "silly". It makes me smile to hear her say it as you really have to listen to understand her, but it is so cute.

We read books today and tried to work on skills. The most frustrating one is trying to get her to put shapes in the appropriate shape sorter hole. I may drive myself crazy trying to keep her engaged with that one. Much like other things, one day she'll just do it and make it look so simple.

Jeff came home about 8:00 p.m. tonight and Gracie was very happy to see him. We had to play her favorite game of being on mommy's back and having daddy come chase and tickle her. We also had to take a family walk around the house a couple of times.

She is now asleep, but very restless. I'm hoping for a good night's sleep, we both need it.

Love,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: