Saturday, June 27, 2009

Saturday - A Day At Home

Gracie woke up at 6:00 a.m., I think she must have forgotten it was Saturday. She had a much better night than she has had the last couple of nights. I was shocked to look at her and find she had blood crusted all over her face, then I looked at the bed and it, pillows, and blankets all had blood on them. Gracie had a bloody nose in the night. She does tend to have a dry nose and with all the air conditioning, I'm guessing it made it even drier, even though I always keep a humidifier running in her room.

Gracie was a very happy girl for most of the day. Lots of jabbering, lots of smiles. We read lots of books, played with toys, listened to music and worked on some of our OT and PT lessons. Gracie had a bath this morning and she enjoyed that, but not very much splashing today, I think she misses daddy splashing her back. They have splash wars. Although very happy, Gracie was very clingy today and wanted to be held alot. I think she misses Jeff and her level of security is just thrown off a little. I was happy to give her lots of snuggles.

After Gracie's bath it was time for my shower. Once again I gated her in the hallway right by the bathroom so she could see in, but not come in as she has a love of the toilet. She had toys and books, but unfortunately it was very traumatic. She screamed at the top of her lungs for my whole shower. Once again I speed showered.

Gracie took a 45 minute morning nap, had a good lunch and then we were going to go to Target. Just before we were ready to leave, her nose started gushing blood again. It was everywhere. On our rocking chair in the living room, all over the kitchen floor, all over Gracie's clothes, all over my clothes and I couldn't get it to stop. I finally just put her in the bathtub. Once we got it stopped I called the nurses line to find out what they recommend should it happen again.

Gracie took a 3 hour afternoon nap and awoke in the best mood ever. She was just silly happy. She was jabbering and found mommy hilarious. Gracie even sat on the floor and played by herself with books and toys for 10 minutes straight while I was on the phone. This is HUGE. Children with Sotos Syndrome have a VERY short attention span.

Gracie doesn't talk much, she has about 6 or 7 words and "hi" is one of those words. She always says it in a very high pitched, yet soft sing songy voice. If you don't know what she is saying you sometimes miss it. Today after her nap we were eating a snack at the table and she looked up at me with a big smile and said "HI" in the biggest boldest voice. I had to look twice to make sure it was my little girl at the table.

Gracie and I went for a walk this evening and then played outside for awhile. She drove her little car. She can go backwards very well. We don't quite have the concept of going frontward, but I work on it with her a little bit each time we are out. We also worked on walking on the grass, she is doing great with that skill.

By the time we came in, Gracie was very tired and fell asleep very quickly. Needless to say, I'm not too far behind her.

Have a great rest of your weekend.

Love,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: