Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sunny Sunday

Gracie had a great night last night and awoke at 7:30 a.m. We ate breakfast and then got all dressed up for church. On the way to church nothing was right and Gracie was not happy, once we got there she was a fine for a short time, a very short time, and then thought she needed to get out of the pew and make her way up to the altar. When we put the ka-bosh on that plan, she decided to vocalize her displeasure...this got her a quick trip out of church. Secretly I think that was her plan all along. So Jeff and Gracie spent the service out in the narthax walking around.

After church we came home, ate lunch, and Gracie took a short nap, then we headed to the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) reunion picnic at the hospital for kids that have been in the NICU. It's been exactly two years ago for Gracie. So we hung out there for awhile. Got a family picture taken and had cookies and lemonade. There was also a bounce house, some activities for kids, such as making sand tubes and beaded necklaces. Gracie is still so oral that everything goes into her mouth, so we opted to avoid those stations. We met another little Grace who was about Gracie's size that had been in the NICU for 9 months, we were surprised to find out that she was now 5.

Jeff had some errands to take care of this afternoon, so Gracie and I hung out at home and played. She was a giggle monster. We played and read books. We played chase and she was squealing in delight.

Grandma and Grandpa D. came over for supper and birthday cake tonight and she had fun with them. She even went up to Grandpa and said "hi".

Gracie did have one rhythmic arm spasm today while Jeff was holding her, but I didn't notice any others. I was so hoping they were gone with the med increase. We'll continue to keep an eye on it.

Tonight I was getting Gracie's night bottle ready and she was over anxious and fussing greatly and grabbing at things and then it happened, she pulled the full bottle of milk off the cupboard without a lid on it. There was milk everywhere...all over the floor, all over me, all over the cupboards. She immediately knew that this was not a good scene. I very calmly, but firmly let her know that I was sitting her down on the floor to watch me clean it up and she was not to move. She did not move...although the whole time I was cleaning it up, she kept signing milk with both hands. The fussing stopped, she was very serious, as was I. When clean up was done, I moved her into the living room, told her I loved her and that I needed her to stay right where I put her while I made her a new bottle of milk. Once again, she stayed where she was put and was rewarded with her bottle of milk. This was a good scenario for me to gauge what she does and doesn't understand, as many times when I correct her she doesn't seem to listen or finds it funny, so I now know what she is capable of understanding.

We snuggled for a bit afterward and now she is sleeping peacefully. Vacation week is over. It went too fast. I will miss just hanging out, playing, and teaching Gracie through the day. I so enjoy her, even when she is trying, she has such a great personality. I feel so blessed.

Please continue to keep Gracie in your prayers for seizure freedom.

Thank you,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: