Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tuesday/Wednesday - A Great Night

Gracie had her last session of occupational therapy at the clinic yesterday. This is a relief to me. She hates being there, doesn't cooperate, does everything she can to not have to do what is asked of her. It's hard work for her, so she doesn't have the patience to concentrate on one thing for long. When Gracie starts school in two weeks, her OT will transition there and will only be for 10 minutes at a time vs. a full hour. I think that will be beneficial. We've definitely seen progress, we loved her therapist at the clinic, but I'm relieved to be done -- unless of course any concerns crop up. We are always welcome to come back. We did try an interesting experiment yesterday at OT. I give Gracie alot of encouragement and praise, it motivates her. However at OT she uses "mommy comfort" as a crutch. If she doesn't want to do something she will come to mom for comfort. So the OT had me disengage - not make eye contact, not look at her, not give any comfort. She did everything in her power to get me to engage and not do the task at hand. She eventually did what she was asked.

We usually see behavior problems in the evening after an OT appointment and it started out to be a rough evening, but I stripped her down to a diaper as she was quite warm and then Jeff and I took turns finding musical You Tube videos for her to watch while she sat with us. She got both the musical input and the human touch input that she needed and the rest of the evening was great. She sang and danced, bath time was a treat, we read a book or two, she just really engaged and we all had a good time.

She had an awesome night's sleep. I swear she didn't move all night. For the first time in years (three to be exact), I slept the whole night through without awaking. That was so nice. Gracie wasn't quite ready to wake up this morning and we snuggled for awhile. Then I told her that I had made chocolate chip muffins for breakfast and did she want one. You've never seen a child pop up quite as quickly as she did and she was shaking her head yes big time. So she got to eat a muffin for breakfast. She also helped herself to part of mine.

Gracie was in a good mood when I dropped her off at daycare and quickly went over to check on the baby. She barely gave me a kiss to say goodbye. She was ready to play. Rumor has it she was going to the park to play today. She walks the whole way there herself and I'm told sometimes she even runs there sometimes.

Love,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: