Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Weekend - Shhhhhhhhhhhh!

Gracie woke up bright and early on Saturday morning. I think she forgot that mommy told her she could sleep in. She was a very good girl in the morning, then took a 2 hour nap, got up at 1:00 p.m., had some lunch, and then turned into a very moody child. Nothing was quite right. We took her to the store with us and she did great when she was in her wheelchair zooming around, but when we transitioned her to and from the car seat or she was in the store trying on snow boots, it was a different story. When we got home she was still overly emotional about everything, so about 4:30 p.m. both Gracie and I layed down for a nap. We awoke at 7:00 p.m. I guess we both needed our sleep.

The long nap was just what Gracie needed. She was in a great mood the rest of the evening. We read books and there was a book that had socks, birds, and cars in it. She signed each of those words at the appropriate times We went to bed a little after 10:00 p.m. and she had a restless start to her night, but had a good night.

This morning she awoke around 7:00 a.m. and was in a great mood all day long. It was just Gracie and I all morning as daddy was playing in the band at church. She repeated a lot of words and did a lot of signing. Gracie and I watched mass on TV this morning. At one point she was getting a little loud and I put my pointer finger to my lip and said "Shhhhhhhhhhh". She didn't hesitate for a second and did it right back to me. I haven't ever used that before, so I'll have to ask daycare if they do, because it was like she knew exactly what that meant. Tonight Gracie and I had fun telling daddy to "shhhhhhhhhh", just for the fun of it.

At one point today I saw Gracie sprawled out on the kitchen floor digging for something under the fridge. The treasure she came out with was a half eaten cracker that has been sitting there for who knows how long. I took it from her just before it got to her mouth and said "yucky"...she repeated me and shook her head and kept saying "yuck". It was so cute.

Gracie, Jeff, and I took a nice walk around the big extended block today. Gracie walked most of it herself. She is getting so observant. She got excited when she saw pumpkins, enjoyed pointing out trees, and picking up leaves. For the last little bit, she got to ride on daddy's shoulders. That was great fun. Later she climbed up the deck stairs with a little help, but got very upset when she saw her water table and was told that it was too cold to play in water.

Gracie amazes me with her willingness to taste all new foods. I'm not sure there is anything she doesn't like, although she definitely has her favorites. Tonight I was eating a lettuce salad, Gracie had already finished her supper when she came up to me and wanted some of mine. I took a very small piece of lettuce with italian dressing and gave it to her. She chewed on that for awhile and came back for more. Not wanting to give her too much lettuce, I gave her part of a crouton with dressing on it. Yum, that was well received too.

Gracie had lots of hugs and snuggles today and was such a good girl. She had fun teasing me too. She has such a great sense of humor. She just makes me laugh and her eyes just sparkle. We are so blessed.

Love,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: