Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Wednesday - Stubborn

Gracie had to be woken up this morning and she was none too happy about it. She finally mellowed out and it was time for her seizure meds. Her meds are capsules (4) full of little tiny sprinkles. I open up the capsules and put them in applesauce. She has always been very cooperative about taking them. We make it fun..."Gracie sure is a lucky girl, she gets sprinkles with her applesauce." Today I gave her the first spoonful and she would open her mouth and take it in, but she wouldn't swallow. I would give her water and a waffle to go along with it. All things would go in her mouth but she would not swallow them. Then she would open her mouth and let it all drain out. We had numerous go arounds with this to the point that I had to call in late for work. I tried EVERYTHING!!!! I'm usually a very patient person, but I was losing patience. I would stop trying for awhile, let her play, then try it again and we would go through the same thing all over again. Finally she wanted to just be held, so I scooped her up, she snuggled in, and we just walked for awhile. We walked past the kitchen cupboard where there were chocolate chip cookies. She wanted one. I let her have one and she chewed and swallowed it. Relief, it wasn't that she was having problems swallowing. At this point I got out the vanilla ice cream. Gracie loves ice cream but doesn't get it very often because dairy causes tummy issues. I took out just enough to get the sprinkles in and down they went.

Gracie had a good day at daycare. She was super snuggly with Barb today and when I went to pick her up, she didn't want to go home. I told her I was going to leave without her and she just smiled and waved "bye bye" to me.

Gracie was a little comedian all night long. She had Jeff and I in stitches most of the night. We kept her up later tonight as we need her nice and tired tomorrow for her EEG. Wish us luck and any extra prayers you have, we would appreciate.

Love,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: