Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thursday - Big Brave Girl

Today Gracie had her EEG. These are extremely traumatic for her, she gets very scared and knows what is coming immediately as we enter the room to get her all hooked up. I told her what we were going to do before we headed to the clinic. She does so much better if she knows what to expect for the day. When I was talking to her about it, she gave me that "please no" face.

We needed to bring her to the appointment tired and we succeeded. She was kind of grumpy in the lobby while we waited, but it had more to do with being tired than anything else. Once we started walking in the lobby she perked up.

The EEG technician was absolutely wonderful. Honestly, I believe all of your prayers worked that we got Karen as our tech. Karen talked to Gracie, was extremely patient with her, showed her what she was going to do. When Gracie got too upset, she would stop and give her a minute. She also had talked to a colleague who told her how Gracie doesn't do well with the pressurized glue gun to stick on the leads, so she used a cap full of leads instead that didn't need nearly as much glue and NO glue gun. There was a short time that it took two of us to hold Gracie, but it was very short-lived. I was expecting the worst and was so relieved to say this was probably the easiest EEG experience we've had, and to date this is her 12th EEG. Thanks again for the prayers! We don't have the results of the EEG yet. Our neurologist will be calling us with those. I'm hoping for good news as we've not seen any seizure activity since her absence seizure in January.

When we got home, Gracie and I both took a nap. Gracie slept for almost three hours and I for two hours. Daddy came home from work mid afternoon and he took a nap too. After nap we were eating a snack and Gracie and I were talking. I told her how proud I was of her and how she was such a "big brave girl today". I wish you could have seen her face beam.

With all the rain and warm temps the snow on our deck is melting away. Underneath this snow is Gracie's water table. Well today it appeared from beneath the snow. It was so funny to see her face when she noticed it all on her own. She got a huge smile and ran to the deck door. She tried and tried to open the door, then she signed "play". She wanted to play with it.

While supper was in the oven, Jeff, Gracie, and I took a walk around the block. The fresh air was good for all of us. Otherwise we had a quiet evening at home, just enjoying each others company.

Love,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: