Friday, April 15, 2011

Friday - A New Adjustment

Gracie had what seemed like a good day at daycare. Two new girls (ages 2 & 4) started at daycare yesterday. Gracie seemed to get along with them, but as is her nature held back and watched rather than being engaged in play. New adjustments like this are hard for Gracie and I suspected we would have a rough evening. I suspected correctly. This difficulty goes hand in hand with her sensory integration disorder and we needed to give her a lot more TLC.
For example, I gave her a bowl of pears to eat while I was making supper. She had a big explosion that she didn't want the pears. Mere seconds later, I sat down on the floor, put her in my lap and just held her. Suddenly she wanted the pears and ate the whole bowl. After supper we suggested a bath and she did not want one (so unlike her). I insisted and she splashed like she hasn't splashed in days. The water is great therapy for her and really gives her good sensory input. Although very tired afterward, she seemed a little better able to cope with things.
Gracie fell asleep very quickly and was a sound sleeper all night long. She awoke in a very grumpy mood. Nothing Jeff did was quite right. She settled down after he left for work. She does so much better with just one of us present in the morning, then she does with both of us there. She ate a huge breakfast and was a happy girl by the time we got in the car to go to daycare.

I think all three of us are looking forward to the weekend. Wishing you all a great one.
Love,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: