Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wednesday - ROARRRR!

I should have known it was going to be a great day, when I walked into Gracie's room this morning and was greeted with a big ear-to-ear smile. At the breakfast table she was leafing through my Parents magazine and pointed to a tiny little picture of a lion. I said "yes, that's a lion...ROAR", her head quickly flew around to the living room where she has a lion on a mylar balloon. I acknowledged that yes that was a lion too. She gave me a big smile, looked right at me and in a big voice said "ROAR".

Gracie had a good day at daycare. At about 10:00 a.m. everyday they take her orthotic braces off of her feet to give her a break. Today it was a little before 10:00 a.m. and she sat down and tried taking her shoes off herself. Tonight when I was asking her about it at home, she kept signing the word "shoe".

This week has been a great week for her cognitive skills. She seems to be understanding and responding to so much. Her tantrums in the evening are even becoming less severe this week. I hope that is a sign of good things to come. She is still quick to hit daddy in the face or pull mommy's hair if she is told "no" when she wants to do something. We are relieved that this doesn't seem to be a problem at daycare.

Tonight I was reading her a book before supper and I had read it twice already. When she wants me to read something again, she kind of does this little high pitched "want" sound. Well she wanted me to read the book again. I told her if she wanted me to read it again, she had to tell mommy "more". Sure enough, she signed "more".

Gracie was out on the deck with daddy for a little while tonight and they saw a bird. Jeff told her it was a bird and she signed "bird". A whole new world of communication through signs and a few words is making Gracie less frustrated. She beams when we know what she is telling us.

After a bath tonight, we read a few more books. She was a tired girl and fell asleep very quickly.

Love to all,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: