Thursday, August 5, 2010

Increase in Meds = Increase in Cognition

Gracie had another great night last night. I could really get used to these good nights. I was awakened by Gracie putting both of her legs over my stomach in her sleep. I guess she thinks mommy is a footrest.

We had sort of a crazy day today. Gracie's daycare provider's daughter was sick, so we really didn't want Gracie hanging out there and catching something, so we took her to our work's back-up daycare center. Gracie had a great day. She wasn't sure she wanted to stay, actually was pretty sure she didn't want to stay, but once mommy was gone all was well. She played outside, she played in the sand box, they took her for walks down the hall to see the babies, she had a great love of that room and signed "baby" and "milk". She also loved when they would shake the wobbly bridge on the playcenter. This surprised me greatly, since it usually scares her a bit with her balance difficulties. They said she did great on it and wanted them to make it move "more".

I did get a call around lunchtime to see if I had any tips on getting Gracie to eat. She wouldn't eat or drink anything for them. They were wondering if they could give her crackers to see if they could get something in her. I gave them my wholehearted approval and told them to scrap the milk for water too. It worked like a charm and she did end up eating her peaches too. Her appetite is decreasing and she is getting a little finicky at times.

When I picked her up she was all smiles. We headed to Target after that and she enjoyed being in the stroller, then to my hairstylists where daddy met up with us to take Gracie home while mom got pampered.

To those of you that know Gracie well, you know that he word "no" comes quite easily to her, and the word "yes" does not. Tonight on the way home, Jeff asked her "Should we go to McDonalds and how about chicken nuggets, fries, and a sandwich for daddy?" In her big voice, Gracie responded "YEAH"!

We are two days into her seizure med increase and we are seeing another cognitive skills burst. She is speaking so much more, she is telling us what pictures are. Tonight she saw a pig in a book, said "pig", then hopped off her bed and got her piggy bank off the dresser. Then she told mommy that she needed "money". With all that effort, she got to feed piggy some loose change.

Tonight I told Gracie we needed to change her diaper and go get ready for bed. As I started to lead her to her room, she wanted to go elsewhere, but I kept helping her along to her room. She was now getting frustrated, so I stopped and she signed "potty". I told her to show mommy what she wanted. She walked to the bathroom, I opened the gate and let her in. She walked right to the toilet. I took off her diaper and sat her on it and she was so proud. She even tried to go potty, but didn't quite get that success. Maybe next time. She is definitely getting the concept. I think potty training is getting closer and closer.

Gracie is now sleeping soundly. Sweet dreams.

Love,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: