Monday, June 13, 2011

The Weekend

Gracie had a good weekend, here are the events in a nutshell:

  • On Friday Gracie went to a new park with daycare.  There were a lot of kids there and it was very overwhelming for her.  When kids would get too close she would get frustrated and grab/pinch at them.  It was just too busy for her comfort level.  They tried to move to a quieter part of the park, but there really wasn't a quiet part.  After they left, Gracie was fine again.  A little too much sensory overload.
  • On Saturday Gracie and Jeff went to watch cousin Jason play soccer.  She learned a new word:  "GOAL!"  Congratulations to Jason and his team on a win!!!  Jeff and I both got haircuts on Saturday, so I got mine first and then Jeff and Gracie came and Gracie was to go home with me.  Just before we left, I went to grab Gracie from getting into other's personal space and I caught my shoe on the floor and we both went crashing to the floor, me on top of her.  I felt so horrible, as I'm sure she hit her head on the floor, but I couldn't find a mark and she did not fuss or cry.  I, however, am in a bit of discomfort.  I think I pulled or tore something in my foot by my big toe.  It hurts to bend it or put any pressure on it.  I skinned my knee up a bit too.  I'm sure it will just take a little time to heal.  Gracie took a 2-1/2 hour nap and then was excited to have Grandma & Grandpa D. come over to join us for supper and a visit.  Gracie insisted that Grandma sit on her bed and visit for a good part of the night. 
  • On Sunday it was a more mellow day.  Gracie got to talk to Grandma & Grandpa B. on Skype.  They were visiting Aunt Cheryl & Uncle Russ.  Then Gracie and I did a little shopping at Target, back home to take a nap, then outside for a walk and to play in the backyard. 
  • Today (Monday) Gracie got to sleep in a bit as she had a morning eye appointment at the clinic.  She has been doing this weird thing where she looks at things out of the corner of her eyes instead of straight on.  The good news is that everything checked out fine.  They even checked her for color blindness and she did okay there too after we finally convinced her to wear the special glasses.  Gracie did not like the ophthalmologist.  He made the fatal mistake of not welcoming her into the room.  The tech brought her in and he kept his back to us until he was ready to take a look.  Then they turned on these fake animals on tv and that scared her to pieces.  She cried big crocodile tears.  They did end up having to dilate her eyes, so they are a bit more sensitive to the sun today.  While we waited in the waiting room/play room, the doctor would come out inbetween patients to try to play and have her warm up to him.  In the end, she did let him take a look and did give him a high five when we were done, but she was happy to be done.  She really liked the technician and did take her for a walk up and down the hallway once.  Now Gracie is at daycare and there was talk of maybe checking out a movie this afternoon.
Have a great week.

Love,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: