Friday, February 25, 2011

Sick With a Virus

On Monday night Gracie came down with a fever and a pretty nasty, yet productive, cough. She was also very itchy. I wasn't sure if that was part of the virus or some remnants of her allergy itch. She also has a sore throat -- the telltale sign of this is that she walks around the house sticking her fingers down her throat to try and make herself throw up. For any of you wondering why I'm turning gray...that might just be it! :)

I finally took her to the doctor yesterday as the cough was persisting, as was the fever. The said it was very viral in nature. We did do a strep culture but it came back negative. They said they are seeing this going around. The fever can last up to a week and a residual cough for three to four weeks.

Gracie is finally fever free today and actually had a fairly good night last night. She did have a few restless times, but much better than we've seen in a while. Today she is a bit more spunky as well, so I think we are on the mend.

Seizure meds have again become an issue. She keeps spitting them out. Her appetite has been very small. I have been making her strawberry/orange juice/banana smoothies and they have been a hit. Matter-of-fact, she went to the blender today and requested a "smoothie"!

My throat is hurting today too and I'm feeling a bit under the weather myself, so I think I'm going to go join Gracie and take a nap. She actually told me she wanted to go "nigh, nigh".

Stay healthy!

Love,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: