Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thursday - A Nasty Cold and Healthy Ears

As I suspected last night as I put Gracie to bed, she has come down with a nasty cold. Her nose is runny, her eyelids heavy, but no fever, so we headed to daycare. She did okay and I picked up a grumpy girl at 1:00 p.m. to head to the clinic for a hearing test and a re-check on her ears. Any time I asked her if she was okay on the trip to the clinic, she would shake her head and tell me "no". I did get a smile when I asked her if she wanted me to turn on some music.

We had been asked to come at 2:00 p.m. rather than 2:30 p.m as was our previous appointment time. Now I'm not sure why. We were there about 20 minutes early, so all in all we had an hour and a half wait. Gracie ran around the lobby for some of the time, I held and bounced her for another part of the time. Finally we were called in for the hearing test. Gracie would not put on the head phones, so they had to do it without. She did really well and was able to hear very quiet sounds. I knew there was nothing wrong with her hearing.

Because of the length of our wait, Jeff was able to join us for her appointment with the doctor...the one that had been hand picked for us by her departing physician who we loved, the one we came in early for so he could make his plane. Only to find out, because of the wait we were assigned someone else...a physician I did not care for at all. His bedside manner had much to be desired, it almost seemed we were a bother. The nurse that was there and helped us was awesome and made up for his lack of personality. I actually had met her at the Good Food store one day and she recommended the coconut milk yogurt that Gracie loves so much. She has a non-verbal daughter and signed with Gracie. She signed to her that she was a pretty girl. I didn't catch what she said, but Jeff did.

Then we came home and had a nap and a lazy evening. Gracie was in a very good mood and was very snuggly, but it is obvious she doesn't feel great. We read alot of books. Jeff was reading a book to her and she was imitating all of his sounds. It's a repetitious book and soon she was adding in the right words where they belonged. When Jeff was all done reading it, she took it from him and said "my turn". Jeff and I both looked at each other in disbelief and then shared a smile and a silent cheer of her success. She was very talkative tonight.

Gracie is in bed now, but very restless. Her nose is all runny yet stuffed up, so she is having trouble breathing. I think it may be a long night.

Love,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: