Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Daddy's Home

Gracie and I survived the week on our own.  Jeff arrived home from Chicago on Sunday night.  Gracie was very happy to see him only to give him the cold shoulder for awhile before becoming his best buddy again.  This is her typical style when Jeff travels. 

Our Saturday started out with a playdate.  Gracie was not into socializing and didn't want to play, so spent most of her time on my lap.  I think she enjoys herself, she just processes it a little differently.  She treated us all to a fall on the floor tantrum when it was time to leave and I pretty much dragged her to the car kicking and screaming.  (Not one of my most proud mommy moments.)  Thanks to our hosts for being absolutely gracious throughout!

Gracie took a long nap on Saturday afternoon and then didn't want to get out of bed.  So we did alot of snuggling.  Jeff Skyped with us for about an hour at supper time and that perked her up too.  On Sunday we had a low key day.  Uncle Chris and cousing Jason stopped by for a little while and that was fun for both of us.  We made a quick trip to Target after that and then we picked Jeff up at the airport. 

Yesterday (Monday) Gracie had an appointment with her neurologist.  Since our last visit 4 months ago she has grown two inches and is now 3' 10" and she weighs 56 lbs.  Her seizure meds are at a good level and we won't need to increase until she hits 59 lbs.  We've had no break through seizures since putting her on brand name meds about 9 months ago.  YAY!!!!  This is the longest we've gone with no seizure activity.  Dr. N. was thrilled with all of Gracie's verbalization, she even told her what Santa says "Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas!"  We also talked about potty training, but Dr. N. feels we just shouldn't push it and doesn't think she'll be truly ready til age 5 or 6.  She just doesn't seem to have the sensation to know to empty her bladder.  So I'll be patient. 

After our appointment, Gracie and I did a few errands, but she was a very tired child.  I knew I was in trouble when we went to the post office and the line was all the way to the door.  Gracie's patience was wearing thin, I was doing everything in my power to keep a positive attitude and keep her entertained.  It really wasn't working.  I must say everyone around me was being very sweet.  When it was time for the man in front of me to be helped, he turned to me and said "I think your fuse is shorter than mine, go ahead."  I thought his gesture to be very sweet. 

When we got home Gracie was increasingly tired and impatient.  She told me she wanted some pudding, she even went to the fridge to get it, but I couldn't get to it immediately (with the 15 seconds she thought I should) and so in her fit of anger she knocked a half full pitcher of black cherry koolaid off of the counter.  Of course when it hit the floor it exploded and there was red liquid everywhere.  It covered the floor, the cupboards, Gracie (who just happened to be wearing light blue and off white) and me.  She knew immediately this was not good.  She stood in complete stillness looking at me for my reaction.  She has come to learn that mommy's silence is not a good thing.  I picked her up, sat her in a chair in the kitchen and she was told not to move and she didn't.  She had to sit and watch me clean the whole thing up (this was not quick in the least  - it was everywhere).  For her to sit anywhere for any length of time is hard, but she did good.  Afterward we had a talk about patience and anger.  Oh, she had to wait for pudding til later too. 

Gracie took a 2-1/2 hour nap and was a much happier child when she awoke.  We had a nice evening and she was a happy girl this morning.  It was back to school and daycare today.  I'm hoping she is having a good day.  She was all smiles when we arrived at daycare, so I hope that is a good sign.

Love,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: