Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Walk, Walk, Walk

Gracie had her ups and downs today. She was very tired this morning, yet very restless. She did take a 45 minute nap while I was rocking her. She had about 20 spasms today, so we seem to be about the same as the last couple of days.

Gracie was a mover and a shaker today. Despite not always feeling wonderful, she decided today was the day to work on walking. She walked from our TV stand in the living room to the refrigerator in our kitchen. She stood there for a while and I coaxed her to walk to me and we ended up at the dishwasher. I would guess about 20 + steps in all. She walks very slowly and deliberately as she seems to understand that she still has trouble with balance. She is able to catch herself at times when she starts falling backwards, so that is a success as well. I think we are going to need to get her helmet sooner rather than later.

It was a beautiful sunny day, so I decided a stroller ride was in order. Instead of using the umbroller, which seems to be confining for Gracie when she is all bundled up in her snowsuit, I decide to get the big stroller from the trunk of my car in our attached garage. Whenever I leave Gracie in a room by herself for a few minutes, I tell her I'll be right back and not to get into any trouble. She always smiles at this. Today when I returned (I wasn't gone more than a minute or two), she had pulled herself up, wedged herself between a rocking chair and a magazine stand and was holding onto a floor lamp. She had a smile a mile wide when I arrived at the scene, that was until the lamp and her started to fall over. Mommy to the rescue on that one. The stroller ride was enjoyed quite a bit today. She even started to sing and kick her legs.

Once again, she was a very hungry girl. I can't seem to keep her filled up. I know this is the steroids at work.

This evening Gracie did more walking downstairs and is very proud of herself, of course mommy and daddy just beam at her accomplishments as well. The successes seem twice as sweet when we see her struggle for every one of them.

We continue to pray for a miraculous recovery. The EEG on Friday should give us an idea of where we are and next steps. We appreciate all the prayers and ask that you continue to keep Gracie in your prayers.

Love,
Lisa & The Family

4 comments:

Auntie Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Auntie Cheryl said...

Way to go, Gracie! I am praying for miracles too and you are one! I love you soooooooooo much!

Brownie said...

I can just imagine how thrilled she was to not "behave" while you were gone. :)

She sounds like such a determined little girl.

Kristina said...

Way to go Gracie! Keep mommy on her toes. Wishing you the best of luck on Friday.. You're in my thoughts.
Love, Kristina