Friday, February 3, 2012

A Crazy Week

It's been a crazy week at our house:

Monday:  I received a call from school mid-morning that Gracie had thrown up, was in the office, and needed to be picked up.  When I went to pick her up, she seemed a little too happy for a girl with the flu.  The first thing she asked me for was juice.  When we got home she went to the freezer and pulled out chicken nuggets and told me she wanted them.  While they were cooking she proceeded to eat anything she could get her hands on.  She was more mellow all day and had a little more gas than usual, but seemed happy enough and with an appetite.  I'm not sure what caused the vomiting.  I do know she had been outside at recess and had gone sledding down a hill, but would only do it once.  Perhaps that was too much for her tummy.  Who knows!

Tuesday & Wednesday:  Gracie had some very rough days at school and was just not herself.  She was outright refusing to do things, very unhappy, and on Wednesday she screamed and cried for mommy and daddy and it took school staff 20 minutes to calm her.  Her teacher is on an extended leave of absence and I think it was just too much for our little one who loves her routine to handle.  I am so thankful to school staff who reached out to me so we could talk through the behaviors and perhaps try some different techniques.  One of which is using a Mickey Mouse figurine (Gracie's most favorite toy) for her to move from one activity to another.  They also now have a substitute teacher in place, so I think a new routine will be made.  Once she would get to daycare, she would go off in a corner by herself for awhile before she would eat lunch and engage with the other children.  Daycare is a good place for her that she is enjoying immensely.  On Wednesday she got to listen to the ocean in a big seashell and she LOVED that.  She also got to hold a shark's tooth which she thought was great. 

On Thursday morning at 3:25 a.m., Gracie had a seizure.  It was fairly short, but she did struggle for breath and she did stop breathing for a short time.  She came out of it fine, but I do contribute it to the stress of her previous days.  She's not quite at the weight where we would give her next med increase (we're a 1-1/2 pounds away), so I have a message into her neurologist to see what we want to do.  Gracie seemed to have a better day on Thursday and she did great at daycare in the afternoon.  She even ate soup using a spoon all by herself!!!!!  Her teacher at daycare videotaped it and Jeff has gotten to see it, but I haven't yet.  I'm told she was very proud and all smiles.  She was in an absolutely great mood last night and it didn't hurt that we stopped and got food from McDonalds for supper.  She ate and ate and ate.  I'm convinced she is growing again.  Many of her pants are starting to get short. 

Friday (today):  Gracie woke up at 4:20 a.m. and told me she was awake...and she was!  As much as I tried to help her go back to sleep, she was truly awake.  So we got up and played.  She was in a great mood at daycare and as I was talking to her teacher this morning, I got to watch her interact with another little girl that was there.  It was so much fun.  The both were holding stuffed animals and the other little girl was singing and talking and Gracie was following her around with a big smile on her face.  All seemed right with the world.

Have a great weekend!

Love,
Lisa, Jeff, and Gracie

No comments: